Organ Mountain Zen



Saturday, October 28, 2006

Stumbling Toward Enlightenment

With palms together,
Good Morning All,

With cooler air comes warmer clothes. And often a quicker pace. As a result of my paralysis, I stumble alot, especially if I try to go faster, and even worse if holding anything at all, even something like the mail. Over the years I have developed a sort of love/hate relationship with my disability. On the one hand it is a serious pain in the you know what. On the other hand, it is a valuable and ever present teacher.

Life is like that.

So when I stumble, I mutter something to myself, and depending, it might be addressing that first hand, or that second hand. In either case, I slow done a bit and place my attention on placing my foot, picking up my foot, and the swing of my arms. I also quickly readjust my thinking.

In many ways I am blessed for living the life I have. I think we all are. Each of us lives. It is our special blessing to appreciate our lives as they are.

Be well.

2 comments:

  1. Harvey san, I am having trouble lately sitting for my intended period. I was sitting for a 1/2 hour in the morning, then changed it to 40 mins. but during the last 10 mins now I am bothered by numbness in my legs. is 40 mins at a time worth the discomfort? or I should try getting in the extra time in another shorter session? It might be my new buckwheat brick that is causing my numbness. don't know..

    also in the evening I do not set a timer. I just sit until i quit. this is usually about 1/2 the length of my morning session. I have had problems nodding out at night. do you recommend a specific length of time per sitting, per day? how do you schedule your zazen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. and you be well yourself. - j

    ReplyDelete