Organ Mountain Zen



Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Life Unfolds

With palms together,
Good Morning Everyone,

This morning, awake early, I am considering my practice. I have decided stop attending the Discussion Group and Torah Study at Temple Beth El and am committing to expanding my street practice to six days a week, each beginning at 9:00 AM.

I am re-working a teaching I prepared years ago addressing Post-traumatic Stress and will use it as a foundation for offering a one-day retreat I will call, “The Zen of Trauma: Practice for Life.” Over the next few days, I will post segments of the teaching, and then place the entire piece on Clear Mind Zen’s various websites and blogs. I would like to offer the retreat in about six weeks.

Life events are often very much like a kyosaku. Something happens that, making no mistake about it, opens our eyes, and causes us to be present. I experienced a small version of this last night and spent much of the evening with myself facing myself as a result. I noticed how needy I was for distraction: I walked a bit, took a short drive, washed clothes, and sat still. It was in that latter posture that I was able to settle down.

Our practice is this: notice, do; notice, do; notice, do. In each, we make small adjustments, take our breath to our heart, and live deeply in the moment.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment