Organ Mountain Zen



Monday, February 5, 2018

A Continuum

Good Evening All,

Up late waiting on the moon to come into view. Telescope is ready. There is nothing that humbles a person more than to be in the presence of the solar system, gateway to our universe. Such presence offers us an opportunity to put ourselves in a greater perspective than the one we tend to hold in our day-to-day existence.

The moon seemed to fascinate Master Dogen. He used its presence often in presenting his understanding and is depicted gazing at the moon in the artwork about him.

It never ceases to amaze me how great the discoveries in the past were uncovered with the most simple tools, perhaps even without any tools at all, save the human mind. Our reliance on devices diminishes our senses instead of enhancing them. I was reminded of this earlier today when I needed to put down my wife's phone number and I had to look it up on my phone. As such reliance increases so our reliance on our own senses decreases.

So, I often look through the telescope to see what I can see in the outward universe and sometimes with my microscope look deeply in the other direction. In either case I am both there and not there residing somewhere in the continuum of space.

Gassho

No comments:

Post a Comment