Organ Mountain Zen



Tuesday, October 6, 2026

There is no day but today

There is no day but today; no yesterday, no tomorrow. More, no moment other than this very moment. As such, there is no birth or death, no younger or older. There is just this now, the now of me typing, breathing, and considering what to say in the next moment.


This is the Zen way of being. 


At 79 and a half, I consider this teaching; it prevents me from wallowing as I age. Well, most of the time anyway. What I must practice with more than anything is the losing of capabilities.  As I write this, I am recognizing the limits of my body as it is in this moment. Believe me, it isn't easy. As a former marathon runner I now fall often, use a walker or cane, and have much less energy than ever before. 


Here's the thing: each moment offers us a teaching when we are open to receive it. 


Can't walk? Sit. Take in the beauty that surrounds us. Right now, I'm writing lying in my hospital bed in my library. i notice a beautiful new cushy Royal Blue blanket my wife bought for me. I look at my bookcases and enjoy reviewing the titles of so many books I've grown to love. There's always something to be grateful for. 


Now, enjoy your moment as I am with you.

Daiho

No comments:

Post a Comment