Organ Mountain Zen



Sunday, January 8, 2006

A day in the life of a priest

With palms together,

Good Evening Sangha,

We began this new week today with zazen services at the Zen Center. I arrived a little early, carried in my little Dirt Devil hand vac and cleaned the cushions. I also washed the tans with wood cleaner and generally enjoyed being in the Zendo alone.

The alter ready, and the hour came, I invited the bell to ring.

Zazen is a wonderful process. Hardly just sitting, it is a dynamic interaction with the universe. But then, so is cleaning the wood and sweeping the cushions.

Tea service, a few bows, and we were done. The work of saving all sentient beings on its way. Stepping out into the New Mexico sun, my black koromo heated immediately. I walked slowly to my truck, not really wanting to leave.

This afternoon we went to a friend's home. It was a "mutiparty" celebrating his 72nd birthday, his dog's second birthday, and our welcome to Las Cruces. Many of our friends were there. My friend, Ken, seemed happy. It was good to see him smile. Someone brought us a large box of fruit for a welcoming gift.

We stayed awhile, conversed with an artist about art and university students, ate canopies, and also talked about religion and its relationship to art. Then we helped our hosts clean up.

Tonight I read through the posts on Zen Living's email group. I don't have the energy to address them this evening. I think I want to go into my zendo and be quiet.

You know, its quite a life we lead as human beings. We are so fortunate to be human beings in the first place, but to be blessed by a loving wife and kids, good friends, excellent resources, and zazen is sometimes almost too much to accept.

We should all count our blessings no matter their size or weight.

Be well,

No comments:

Post a Comment